Saturday, November 9, 2013

Altered Clipboard DIY- Heidi Swapp Blog Hop

Hey,Hey -have you missed me ? :D
 It's been a while since my last DIY tutorial  ha...
Today I'm going to show you how to make an Altered Clipboard from SCRATCH!
Yep,it can be done with a few simple materials (and some tools from your husband's toolbox  )
So...this is what we are going to do today

Here are the ingredients needed
  1. Hard cover from an old book
  2. Decorative cardstock
  3. Various decorations
  4. XYRON Creatopia Machine loaded with permanent adhesive cartridge
    or
  5.  XYRON glue stick
  6.  XYRON 5" Creative Station
  7. XYRON 3" Sticker Maker
  8. XYRON Mega Runner
  9. Teresa Collins 2 Hole Chipboard Punch
  10. Small piece of sanding paper
  11. A piece of beeswax 
  12. Iron
  13. Drill+ drill bit 
  14. Rivet Gun 
  15. Metal clip
Lets begin-
Take your old book and cut of one of it's covers .
 I used an old dated dictionary 

 Sand the cover to reduce the shine and give it some teeth
 Find a word  or cool sentence from  the old book - we are going to frame it later on :)
I used the description of the word "Create"

 I also did a sketch of a cute smiling bear (since my shops named Pettibear  & PettiBearKIDS and my logo is a bear ,I thought it would look really nice without looking to logoie )
If you don't draw/ sketch, you can always use a stamped image .

 To make my large scale sketch less overpowering, I decided to make it sheer by melting a small piece of beeswax between two layers of parchment paper and when melted I insert my image between the papers and iron over it making sure the melted wax is spreading evenly across the image

 See how sheer it became
 Now we are going to treat our clipped dictionary scrap of paper by giving it a nice frame
 I use my XYRON  Mega runner to apply glue on the narrow edges of the frame and glue the frame on top of my dictionary page.
After glueing ,trim the extra paper around the edges.

This sweet embossed frame came from a set of lovely frames by Heidy Swapp.
The set calls "color magic pressed paper frames"


 This is the time to assemble the composition
Run the decorative cardstock through your Creatopia Machine or apply an even coat with your XYRON Glue Stick
 I used tiny Polka Dot single sided patterned paper from Heidy Swapp collection for the background
And a 'checked by Santa 'checklist paper from the same "Believe" paper pad 
I cut the checklist paper to a narrow strip ,run it trough my 5" Creative Station and glued it on top of the background


Glued in my waxed bear sketch on top

Added my framed ephemera in

 Decorated my composition with "you are here" chipboard stickers from Lily Bee Design Destination line

 Added a  "Beautiful" wood tag from 'LOVE'  Wood Tag  collection by LYB
 And glued in one of the cute library cards from Maya Road Design ,using my XYRON  3" Sticker Maker


 I felt like some wording is in order,so I used Heidy Swapp's ‘color magic’ chipboard striped alphabet stickers for the 'ART'
American Crafts Good Tidings thickers chipboard alphabet stickers for the 'DIY'
And  'craft' word assembled with Lily Bee Design Destination Letter Stickers which were glued on top of Maya Road's  oval tag shape from Mixed Shapes Mini Chipboard Set
 The only thing left is to attach the large clip.
To do so,I needed to drill two holes in the clip itself ,but before the drilling I needed two good symmetrical marks-
 I found the best tool to make the template in  Teresa Collins NEW  2 hole punch.
By punching a piece of scrap paper I instantly had a ready to mark stencil

 Making my marks through the holes of my template

 And with my hubby's trusty Makita two holes were done ( begin the hole drilling slowly as the drill bit may slip easily from the tilted sleek  clip's surface  ,so be careful not to get hurt ! )
 I also drilled two holes through my altered board
 Attaching my large clip to the board with some paper clips

 And with  the help of my rivet gun (or whatever it's called) permanently connecting the large clip to my altered board

 The back of my board
And my awesome Altered Clipboard is DONE :)


bear_hugs

2 comments:

  1. WOWZERS! This is so cool! I especially like the beeswax trick! I am so going to give this a try! Love the finished product! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey how cute is
    your book clipboard!
    Thanks for the tip on
    the melted beeswax
    creation.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete