Monday, July 30, 2012

Sierra's 5th Birthday Marathon

My oldest daughter ,Sierra has turned 5 this Saturday and I planned her a Beauty Parlor birthday bash  with P I N K &  L I M E color essence

I actually began to work on the party decorations almost a month and a half ahead!
That is because after 30+ years of getting to know myself I figured that I ALWAYS leave preparations for the LAST minute and then in an extreme hurry do all at ones,that is during the night of course :D

So this time I decided to plan ahead and try to finish all in time (by the way,it didn't work-I still somehow manages to leave a couple of thing till the last minute and actually was making handmade lip balms favors half an hour before Sierra's friends had arrive...)
Well.that's me and that's how I roll,so I guess there is nothing I can do about it,I like working in stress!

P r e p a r a t i o n s
I started with Sierra's dress
I decided to go for a full skirt with hand sewn tulle rosettes and sequin strapless sew on top!

It took me 3 whole days to finish the skirt only-I truly learned to appreciate those who make the rosette fabrics you see on the bridal gowns this season. It's a CRAZY time consuming project!!!
But the heart wants what the head had design and so after investing literally days on the skirt I was VERY pleased with the result

Then was the time to make the party decorations :)

A while back I saw on pinterest these lovely dolly ball decorations which I  really liked and immediately  knew that I have to make them for some party and here came my chance :-)
As usual I couldn't find colorful dollies here locally so I had to order them from the US ...
I found the prettiest pink dollies on E-Bay and even got some red ones as a freebie with my order :)
This was fairly quick project with absolutely stunning results 

After I finished with these cuties I wanted to make yet another Pinterest project-Butterflies Mobile
Now this one was on my to do list for a very long time ...Let me tell you one thing,if you don't have Silhouette cutter or too much time on your hands,don't try to make this one!!!
Even with Silhouette it took days to cut all the butterflies !
The one thing I liked about making this mobile other then the beautiful result is that I could have get rid of all the paper scraps I had laying around for years without been used
I made the base from all upcycled materials of course (you know me,I'm not the one to go and buy things to make things...)
And so,the upper small circle was made of bicycle's  pedal  gear and the big bottom circle was made of tunnel for electrical wires  I took from my hubby's  stash .
 Initially ,I wanted to use Michael's old twisted bicycle's wheel but it was just to big .Then I wanted to take one from Sierra's old bikes which would have been perfect,but she didn't let me :D ,so I went with the tunnel ^^  After I found the bases ,I cut hundreds of butterflies and glued them onto the bases.
I attached the bases to each other with 3 wide ribbons  and added leaf die cuts  between the spaces 
To hang the mobile I took a plastic cone from ended sewing thread ,stack a wine cork into it and screwed a hook in it (upcycling EVERYWHERE I tell you lol)  
To complete the royal chandelier I added some blings and vu a la  a Butterfly galore 


What next...what next...GIANT paper flowers of course :)
These were also found on pinterest and are to pretty not to include in any party decor
You can make them so BIG and they look VERY cool as a photo prop


Aren't they look as if they grew naturally in my little garden :D

Exactly opposite to the paper roses I decided to create a princess's little nook
I used old pallets and with the help of my crafty husband  created a 120x65 cm  bench .
To hide a not so smooth surface ,I sewed a lovely flowery pleated  bench skirt  ,added-in our old bed's headboard ,comfy mattress got a great fuchsia slip cover and on top of all,a FAB pink canopy

And it the corner of the above pic you can see the backdrop I made for the photoshoot :)
This was the most FUN project to do ever!!!
I think that if I wouldn't choose to be a fashion designer,I would for sure find myself working as a theater prop stylist  or window dresser :)

To make one you'll need a large screen (I brought one from my father's work )
It was an ugly one... with bare plywood and formica-laminate coating coating on one side and stained fabric insert with formica panel on the other side...
To  beautify the screen I painted numerous layers of different shades of cream and pick one on top of the other ,sprayed the top layer with gold acrylic and aged the whole deal with sand paper 

To make it festive I glued oversized paper flowers and colorful bunting  (bunting always make everything more festive right :)


Since I went for the photo booth  effect,hubby cut a hole in the screen and we nailed an old frame to make it look like it's an interior of a home-or Beauty Salon to be exact

Here is the total look with the butterfly chandelier 
P.S the little picture beside the large wooden frame ,is a beautiful illustration by Manuela De Simone Zaccardini aka DesiCloe on etsy  with decorative frame by yours truly (but I'll talk about the Italian beauty who is Manuela someday later )

The reverse side of the screen got vintage like stripes and I actually decided to leave the dusty old fabric covered panel on  to go with the grangy look

Of course this side got it's own old wooden frame and a gorgeous artwork as well
 This one is by my dear French friend -Cherifa aka Minasmoke on etsy

Next post will be the screen in action one :D (or the second next to be exact lol )
This one is turning to be a heck of a long one,ha?!
So I'll take a break and will tell you about the food and food related decorations in the next post

bear_hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment